Building Strong Futures: Young Women’s Outreach Program
COVID-19 update: our program is offering interactive webinars on the Webex platform. Here is a flyer for the week of August 4th.
Young women’s webinars: Week of August 4th (August 3rd is a stat holiday)
Scarborough Women’s Centre offers the Building Strong Futures: Young Women’s Outreach Program to meet the needs of young women, ages 13-19 at schools and community organizations in Scarborough.
Our program offers interactive workshops that focus on empowering youth to create success and independence for themselves by making positive life choices. Since 2009, the program has mentored over 1,000 participants and continues its outreach efforts to new and existing young women.
If you want us to facilitate our programs at your school, community agency or event, please contact Ferozan Nasiri at 416-439-7111 ext.4 or email@example.com
Workshops vary in topics and are provided to young women in small groups with a trained facilitator. Topics include:
- Building Self-Esteem
- Healthy Relationships
- Body Image
- Goal Setting
- Healthy Eating and Active Living
- Mental Health
- Self-Care Practices
We are always adding workshops to our program, please feel free to inquire about any specific topics.
Young Women’s Leadership Development Program
To help increase awareness on issues affecting young women, we have created a multi-session Young Women’s Leadership Development Program where young women volunteer their time to become ambassadors in their communities. As part of this program, participants will:
- Work on creative projects that address young women’s issues (e.g. zines, posters, pamphlets, flyers)
- Attend training to learn essential leadership and outreach tools
- Help raise awareness of young women’s issues, such as self-esteem & body image, teen dating violence, young women’s health and healthy relationships
- A safe and supportive place to meet with other young women in discussing topics and issues of interest
- Experience working in the social service field
- Earn volunteer community hours
- Have fun with other young women while making a difference in the community
Sisters Assisting Sisters of Scarborough (SASS) our Young Women’s Mentoring Program
To assist in achieving her goals, a teen Young Woman 15-19 years-old, is matched with an adult Young Woman 20-31 years-old. Volunteer mentors are trained to guide their mentees through challenges and obstacles in their lives by empowering and supporting them to create positive outcomes for themselves. Young women will be carefully paired with someone who can help work on concrete plans for their futures, and provide a safe environment for discussions on issues including relationships, staying in school, and life goals.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer and Student Placement opportunities are available to those who wish to assist with the operation of our Building Strong Futures Program. Opportunities include:
- Workshop Development & Assistance
- Program Administration & Outreach
- Mentoring for S.A.S.S (Please note: Mentors must be between the ages of 19-31 years old.)
Join us and follow Building Strong Futures on Social Media for the most up-to-date information:
FACEBOOK: Building Strong Futures: Young Women’s Outreach @SWC
Check out our Young women’s resource info brochure
For more information on our workshops or volunteer/student placement opportunities, please contact Priscilla Arias, Building Strong Futures: Young Women’s Outreach Project Coordinator at:
Tel: 416-439-7111 ext. 4