We continue to support women through the COVID-19 pandemic. At this time, all program activities will be offered by video and/or phone.
Join us for our next webinar for women with disabilities! Watch this space for topics and dates….
Real-Time Captioning Now Available at ETR Webinars!
Real-time captioning will be provided at all Expanding the Reach webinars as part of our ongoing commitment to promote greater accessibility and inclusion at Scarborough Women’s Centre (SWC).
What is real-time captioning?
Real-time captioning ensures everything that a facilitator says during a webinar is converted into live captions that are displayed on participants’ computer screens. A full transcript of the captions is then provided to Scarborough Women’s Centre (SWC).
How to Request real-time captioning?
Please register for our webinars as possible and let us know that you would like
real-time captioning when you RSVP.
Introduction to Expanding the Reach
Women with visible and invisible disabilities are encouraged to participate in all the programs and services offered at Scarborough Women’s Centre. The Centre also provides an outreach program for women with disabilities called Expanding the Reach (ETR).
In September 2020, we received funding from the Canadian Women’s Foundation, Rebuilding Lives grant program to facilitate a new three-year project that will address violence experienced by women with disabilities and support women with disabilities in rebuilding their lives. For more information about the program, see ETR Program brochure
We will address violence experienced by women with disabilities through the following project activities:
- Educational webinars and workshops for women with disabilities that will increase their awareness of topics such as: healthy and unhealthy relationships, self-care, safety planning, how to support someone who may be experiencing violence, and more
- Skill-development opportunities that will build the capacity of women with disabilities to take on leadership roles throughout the project
- Training sessions for service providers who are interested in making their workplaces more inclusive of women with disabilities who are at risk for experiencing violence
- Tools and resources that can be used by women with disabilities and service providers during and once the project ends
Who can participate and how?
Women with disabilities are invited to participate in all of the project activities listed above. To participate, one must self-identify as having visible or invisible disabilities, be at least 18 years of age, and register in advance. Participation in all program activities is FREE and voluntary
What kind of accommodations are provided?
When hosted in person, the following accommodations are provided at ALL ETR program activities. Note: These accommodations are currently not available in our other programs and services:
- Attendant care
- Light refreshments
- TTC tokens
When hosted virtually, the following accommodations are provided at ALL ETR program activities. Note: Please inquire about the availability of these accommodations, if required, when participating in our other programs and services.
- PDF and word versions of webinar handouts that will be sent in electronic format and/or in larger print
- The option to participate in project activities by phone or video
- Real time captioning
Who do I contact for more information?
If you have questions or are interested in participating in the program, please contact Melissa at 416-439-7111 x 3 (or 103) or email@example.com
Who are our project partners?
This project is being done in collaboration with: Centennial College’s Centre for Global Citizenship Education and Inclusion, Birchmount Bluffs Neighbourhood Centre, and East Scarborough Storefront.
Who are our project funders?
Thank you to the Canadian Women’s Foundation for supporting the empowerment of women with disabilities. We are always interested in hearing about funders and donors who would like to support our work.
Where can I go to learn more about disability issues?
Like us on Facebook! Visit https://www.facebook.com/expandingthereach